Wherever you live, now’s the time to get your citrus fix because winter is when citrus taste is best. If you love lemon desserts this is a double win for you, this loaf cake is delicious. It’s from Candace Floyd’s Little Everyday Cakes. I can’t wait to make more cakes from her cookbook. This was my January pick from the Cake Slice Bakers bake group.
The yogurt gives the cake a lighter crumb then sour cream, but the same tangy flavor. There is both lemon juice and lemon zest to give the loaf cake a strong lemon flavor. This loaf slices could be served as breakfast, a snack or dessert that everyone will love!
Lemon-Rosemary Loaf Cake
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup plain whole yogurt, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees and spray an 8 x 4.5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the yogurt, vanilla, and lemon juice in a glass measuring cup.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs and egg yolk one at a time, beating well, after each addition.
- Reduce speed and slowly alternative at the flour and the yogurt mixture, ending with the flour mixture. Mix until just blended. Stir in the lemon zest and rosemary. Scrap the batter into the prepared pan.
- Mix for an additional minute, scraping the bowl, until everything is smooth and combined.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Take the cake out of the pan, and cool completely on a rack.
- To prepare the syrup, combine the sugar and the lemon juice in a small sauce pan, and heat over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. ( I microwaved for one minuted in a small glass measuring cup)
- Remove the cake from pan and return.it tope side up to the rack server a baking sheet to catch drips. Pour the warm syrup over the warm cake. Let the cake cool completely
* If you do have have rosemary you can replace with lavender or thyme or leave out.
*Keep on the kitchen counter for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
*Optional Frosting: While the tea cakes are cooling make the frosting. Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a smooth but slightly loose frosting. Pour over the cooled cakes and let sit at room temperature for the frosting to crust over.
Recipe adapted by Little Everyday Cakes: 50+ Perfectly Proportioned Confections to Enjoy Any Day of the Week by Candace Floyd (Author)
I can’t wait to see what everyone else chose to bake this month!
Each month The Cake Slice Bakers are offered a selection of cakes from the current book we are baking through. This year it is Little Everyday Cakes by Candace Floyd. We each choose one cake to bake, and then on the 20th – never before – we all post about our cake on our blogs. There are a few rules that we follow, but the most important ones are to have fun and enjoy baking & eating cakes!
Follow our Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest pages where you can find all of our cakes, as well as inspiration for many other cakes. You can also click on the thumbnail pictures below to take you to each of our cakes. If you have a blog and are interested in joining The Cake Slice Bakers and baking along with us, please send an email to thecakeslicebakers at gmail dot com for more details.
The Cake Slice Bakers also have a new Facebook group called The Cake Slice Bakers and Friends. This group is perfect for those who do not have a blog but want to join in the fun and bake through this book.
It is a new year and a new book – Little Everyday Cakes – and our choices for January 2021 were ~
Lemon-Rosemary Yogurt Loaf
Chocolate Malt Cake
- Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- My Recipe Reviews
- A Little Bit of All Right
- Amandie Bakes
- Making Miracles
- Sweet Sensations
Oatmeal-Applesauce Cake with Lemony Apple Topping